After OPing for 2 weeks, I went to a new dentist and he wanted me to have a root canal.He was very insistent. I put it off for a month, continued to OP and found a new dentist. The new dentist also took x-rays, but told me that it didn't look that bad and if I have no pain, I can hold off on the root canal. I have another appt. in 6 mos and will continue to OP and see if there is any improvement. My mouth feels much cleaner & my teeth look brighter.