CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Thinking about getting Mirena, but am scared to death of all the side effectd=s and insertion pain.

Clarkia Extra Strong
Clarkia Tincture 2 oz, 4 oz, 8 oz, and 16 oz

Natural, Soothing, Progesterone Oil
Supplementation and Hormone Balancing Based on the...

Lugolís Iodine Free S&H
J.Crowísģ Lugolís Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Your Ad Here
Place your ad here !

More
More
oldjules Views: 15,145
Published: 13 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,083,924

Re: Thinking about getting Mirena, but am scared to death of all the side effectd=s and insertion pain.

I don't know if I am posting this on the right site. It seems as though many people on this site have had trouble with the Mirena. I had mine placed last October. Admittedly, I have had daily spotting since insertion. However, I have a long history of severe endometriosis along with heavy, painful periods which resulted in anemia. Five years ago I had to have a large endometrioma removed along with my left ovary. When I was younger I did use the oral contraceptive pill which helped lighten and shorten my periods and to some degree, my pain. Because my blood pressure went up a bit after being on the pill for years (and the fact that I smoke and am getting older) the pill is no longer an option. I saw my gynecologist for spotting, likely due to an endometrial polyp which was found on ultrasound. She stated the polyp would need to be removed under general anesthesia in the operating room. Since I would be under a general anesthetic anyway, she offered to place a Mirena at the same time to lighten my periods or hopefully, stop them altogether. I cannot comment on the insertion, after all I was asleep at the time. I did have cramping following the insertion which continued for a couple of days.

I admit that the daily spotting is an inconvenience (we know this spotting is not likely suspicious as endometrial biopsies were taken at the time of my surgery) and we do hope that it will eventually stop. But for me at this time, I would take that spotting over a painful period any day! I have not had to take any medication for period pain in three months. I haven't had my blood tested recently, but suspect my iron levels are back up. I very rarely get the headaches that I use to suffer from regularly premenstrually.

At some point, I may decide to have the Mirena removed if the spotting continues, but I can say so far that it has been a good option to try before any more invasive treatment such as a hysterectomy.

You have to consider the options suitable for you. Everyone has different underlying conditions which may make some options better than others. For me a hysterectomy is the last option I wish to pursue. Hysterectomy, in my case, won't be easy because of my previous c-section, previous laparotomy for the endometrioma, and severe nature of my endometriosis. Personally, my trial of the Mirena has been a good choice given the severity of my menstrual difficulties.

Good luck, I hope you can find something that works!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.com

21.406 sec, (2)