CureZone   Log On   Join
Potassium chloride...is it ok?

elliotmtl Views: 3,055
Published: 12 years ago

Potassium chloride...is it ok?

I am trying to increase my potassium intake through supplements, because eating enough fruits and vegetables to ensure significant potassium intake is rather iffy given the untrustworthiness of normal produce and the costliness of organic produce.

Supplementing potassium with pills is pointless given the FDA's 99mg limitation. So the only alternative seems to be a potassium powder such as potassium gluconate or potassium chloride. The former seems to be safe, but the latter seems to be significantly cheaper. My concern, then, is whether or not the chloride in the potassium chloride would end up being absorbed and - as a halogen - being used by the body in place of iodine. The product I am looking at (NOW Foods) seems to be half potassium, half chloride by weight. Unless I am misunderstanding the chemistry, getting the recommended RDA of potassium would imply ingesting several grams of chloride a day, which seems like it might be a rather bad thing.

Thoughts?

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.com

1.016 sec, (1)