CureZone   Log On   Join
Dietary antioxidant supplement may boost melanoma risk in women???

msavoy07 Views: 3,063
Published: 12 years ago

Dietary antioxidant supplement may boost melanoma risk in women???

I came upon this on a site: http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Modern+Medicine+Now/Dietary-anti...

that claims a study that suggests dietary supplementation does NOT help skin cancer

Published online July 5 in the European Journal of Cancer. The French adults in the study (7,713 women age 35 to 60 and 5, 028 men age 45 to 60) received daily a placebo or a combination of:

(the following is what frightens me) ascorbic acie (120mg), vitamin E (30mg) beta-carotene (6 mg), selenium (100 lg) and zinc (20mg) from 1994 to September 2002. (Claims the nutritional doses of antioxidants used in the trial was supposed to reproduce the content of fruits and vegetables contributing to a healthy diet.

Goes on to report the incidence of melanoma among the female subjects was 4.3 times higher in the antioxidant group.

Besides hormonal factors, one hypothesis is that in this subgroup, supplementation was associated with harmful effects by overprotecting against apoptosis.

Post-intervention study in the European Cancer Journal, which followed the same subjects for five years after stopping antioxidant supplementation, showed that this harmful effect disappeared when supplementation was stopped.

My superficial spreading malignant melanoma was removed in 1988 and has not returned. But now, since I am taking many of the supplements along with Iodine, should I be concerned?

I don't like this at all.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2022  www.curezone.com

0.531 sec, (1)