Actually smart meters use 1-watt radios to transmit energy data over wireless networks. Those radios emit low levels of radio waves and they transmit only about 45 seconds a day. They are outside of the house and have relatively weak radio signals.
It would take about 1,000 years to get as much exposure to radio waves coming from a smart meter than a typical Cell Phone user gets in just one month.
So, if you're really concerned about radio waves, then you should probably get rid of your Cell Phone , your wi-fi modem, your microwave, your television, your radio player, and avoid all power lines. Also if you have any electric blankets throw those away too because they create a magnetic field that penetrates about 6-7 inches into the body. Also Answering machines, particular those with adapter plugs (mini-transformers), give off high levels of EMFs. Electric razors and hair dryers emit EMFs as high as 200 to 400 mG.
Not sure how you could avoid all of the above, unless you moved to the mountains, but then again I did hear Mount Everest actually has Cell Phone towers now so you can get reception at the peak! Maybe if you moved to the mountains about 300 years ago then you'd be safe.