The health benefits of meditation continue to be found through medical
research. There are a jillion types of meditation but all of them focus on
relaxation of the body and the mind. Postures range from that of a pretzel
to a relaxed posture sitting in a chair with both feet on the floor.
I have personally cured my long term depression, anxiety/panic attacks, and
many relationship difficulties through daily meditation. You can also
learn to discover yourself as the eternal spirit that you are and the healing
and peace which accompanies that discovery.
One of my favorite stories of emergence through meditation is the one of Jane
Alexander - medicated, incarcerated, bipolar, suicidal, who took her life into
her own hands and cured herself and is now drug free and bipolar free through
meditation alone. Her story and many links are here.
Since the 1970s there has been a steady flow of research data on the effects
and benefits of meditation. The results overwhelmingly show there are numerous
benefits to meditation. In this article we are going to concentrate on the
physiological and health benefits.
Nearly all forms of meditation have one thing in common, that is relaxing the
body. When the body relaxes, the mind follows. Directly experiencing the
inter-relationship of the body and mind, is then a significant benefit of
meditation. This awareness is a doorway to increasing self awareness and self
<snip> ..... (you can read the rest of the article at the site but will
included the benefits)
Here then, as a list are the physiological and health benefits of meditating
* It stabilizes the autonomous nervous system.
* It reduces the heart beat.
* It reduces the speed of breathing.
* Blood pressure drops.
* The Galvanic Skin Response (GSR) increases.
* EMG activity increases.
* Cardiovascular affectivity goes up.
* Breathing affectivity increases.
* The skin receives more blood.
* Stomach function and bowel function improve.
* The endocrine function is heightened.
* Muscle flexibility increases.
* The intake of oxygen gets stronger.
* Mobility and flexibility increase.
* The hand-eye co-ordination increases.
* Reaction-speed increases.
* Body posture is improved.
* Strength and resistance increase.
* Stamina increases.
* There is a heightened energy level and vitality.
* People’s weight is stabilized at an ordinary level.
* The ability to sleep increases and the time people need to fall asleep
* Pain is weakened.
* Stability is improved.
* Depth perception increases.
* There is a heightened degree of relaxation.
* There is a lessened degree of muscle tension.
* The production of serotonin increases.
* Menstruation pains are softened.
* Increases serotonin which influences moods and behavior. Low levels of
serotonin are associated with depression, headaches and insomnia.
* Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
* Decreases muscle tension (any pain due to tension) and headaches.
* Helps in post-operative healing.
* Enhances the immune system.