CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Exfoliative Cheilitis is Psoriasis of the Lips

Michel84 Views: 3,330
Published: 10 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,863,062

Re: Exfoliative Cheilitis is Psoriasis of the Lips

The cause for Psoriasis seems to be the triggering of an autoimmune-response against proteins produced by immune cells in the skin, following a bacterial infection/ invasion (beta-defensins). This means that the disease that follows after a triggering event, has become independent on the presence of pathogens.

I think EC is different with this respect, because it seems to require a constant skin irritation/ presence of substances that trigger the inflammation in our lips. Once this cause has been effectively removed, the condition improves (at least from what I can derive from stories on this forum).

There is also an important difference with respect to the symptoms:

Psoriatic skin usually feel very smooth/ sometimes with small white scales, while EC generates thick crusts that peel off.

Two common cures for Psoriasis are:
A) taking of salt baths (anyone with EC ever try this?)
B) usage of hydrocortisone, a substance that kills immune cells (T-cells). I tried the latter therapy and it didn't work for me, not any improvement.

Further, Psoriasis oftenly spread across certain parts of the body, while EC for the most of us does not.

There are probably a lot other differences, but my point is that EC is significantly different from psoriasis, and should be treated in a different way.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.com

0.480 sec, (1)