I thought cos my toxic metals weren't high, there wasn't really a problem with them - but maybe that's not the case!
No !! This is the number one mistake in interpreting hair mineral analysis. When mercury doesn't show up it is most often the case that the detoxification of your body isn't working. This is an emergency system of your own body, the body isn't detoxing the heavy metals properly through liver and kidneys so it starts storing this inside the body tissues and organs. The mercury will build up until problems start and you will get worse.
I'm not sure if you should chelate copper. Remeber that the copper becomes biounavailable because of other (more toxic) heavy metals like mercury and lead. You will go in circles when you have superoxidizers in your system which will make the copper ionic and oxidized. The adrenals fail because of the oxidized copper AND because of the other superoxidizers (mercury and lead). The cause of copper problems are these more toxic heavy metals and as long you are not chelating them copper will endlessly be a problem for you.
This is the trap most folks are falling into. They think they should just remove the copper and everything is allright but after a few months they wonder why the healing is not coming in a more dramatic way. Your body needs copper for functioning but biounavailable copper (the oxidized one) is toxic and will give you permanent damage, it is a free radical working 24/7, the body is stressed by it even when you are in deep sleep so sleep will not be refreshing. Most people with blown adrenals wake up in the morning deeply stressed.
Getting mercury out of the system is the way to go, then your body will be able to handle the copper and you will get very dramatic copper dumps, I'm speaking here of my own experience. The copper dumps really get starting after 50 rounds of cutler frequent dose mercury chelation in my case.