I need help understanding how to detect mold
This is my first post ever. I'm glad I found this website everyone seems very knowledgable. I've had candida for years and I've been managing it with a specialized candida md. Sorry for the lengthy post in advance.
I moved into a brand new apartment duplex 10 months ago ( No carpet etc. for allergy purposes). And a month after that I inherited some furniture from a family members estate. Being the crafty person that I am I took on some pretty old pieces of furniture. I have 3 handmade wood tables, a cedar chest, two chairs, and a wood display case. I know these pieces were kept in a basement for many many years in their original home. I know that basement has flooded before. I deep cleaned all the pieces, refinished all the wood pieces with sanding, staining, sealing. I steam cleaned and sun dried the chairs.
So far this year all my candida symptoms have gotten worse. (Bronchitis, sore throat, allergies, chronic sinusitis, insomnia, etc) and I have i picked up every cold and flu bug that has crossed my path resulting in three rounds of Antibiotics
, steroids for allergic reactions/sinusitis, and silver for viral stuff combined with all that. Ive had a low grade fever for 7weeks I'm miserable and so tired of being sick. Im presently treating my candida with my doctor. Also, i use a diffiser in my house to blow antifungal oils and i have three germ guardian hepa/uvc fans. My doctor thought I was being exposed to mold at my job so I took some time off, we thought for sure I would show signs of improvement and I did but not enough. My doctor keeps asking me if there is mold in my house and I kept saying no bc my house is new. Then it hit me, what if I have been in denial this whole time about my beloved inherited furniture I spent so much time cleaning and fixing up. I've google it and I can't seem to find any solid answers. I know that just because I don't visibly see mold doesn't mean it's not there. I read that dead mold spores are still really dangerous to people who have sensitivities. One of the chairs smells kinda old but it doesn't smell musty. The other one smells fine, still kinda fresh from the cleaner I used when I steam cleaned it. They are both a wood/upholstery combo. With the other wood furnitiure There seems to be some color variations but my husband says its not mold its where the wood has aged. Maybe there is dead mold saturated within! Heck if I know! It's so hard to be certain it drives me crazy.
My questions are: does anyone know anything about how mold lives on furniture, spores dead or alive? And is there a way to permanently fix it or do I have to get rid of all this stuff? And if dead or alive spores are present even though I don't see them would it effect my other belongings which are all new?