You're saying that your goiter becomes worse during your periods. So maybe there is a hormonal factor at work here?
Have you considered estrogen dominance?
How does estrogen dominance affect thyroid hormone function?
Estrogen dominance causes the liver to produce high levels of thyroid binding globulin, which bind thyroid hormone and decrease the amount of free available thyroid hormone which can be assimilated into the cells. Estrogen dominance also causes a passive resistance at the cellular level for the proper assimilation of thyroid hormones.
So, estrogen dominance will make you feel hypothyroid. Just look at the symptoms of hypothyroidism and compare them to your symptoms.
Excess Estrogen inhibits Iodine absorption.....
So, estrogen dominance would keep a goiter in existence longer. Because it inhibits Iodine absorption, it would keep the thyroid from getting enough iodine, even though there is enough Iodine floating around.
The thyroid enlarges because it is trying to get more iodine. If this is made difficult because of the estrogen dominance, the thyroid never get its fill and stays enlarged.
Estrogen dominance also hinders your digestion: it cramps up the bile sphinxter, making it harder for the bile to enter your colon and help digestion. So you're getting less nutrients from the colon into your blood vessels. Basically, your supplements and food are going to waste.
I'm estrogen dominant and whenever the estrogen gets the upper hand I get:
- hypothyroidism (hoarse voice, I feel cold, have dry skin, tired, brain stops working, etc)
- less muscle strength
- muscles just tire out so easily, its seems they're getting no oxygen
It's always at its worse during the week before and the week during my period.
I'm still struggling to get the estrogen dominance under control. I can tell you what I'm trying to do, but since I've not really overcome it yet, I might not be the best person to listen to. I am able to keep the symptoms down though. I use:
- calcium d-glucarate to help the liver excrete estrogen
- DIM to helps detox estrogen + counteract the effect of estrogen
- Maca to balance hormones
- liver detoxification and enzymes capsules to help digestion
- progesterone cream, this helps best of all
- Keep those bowel movements going, otherwise estrogen doesn't get excreted but builds up because the liver can't get rid of it.