CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: YOU are spreading lies

FreeAgain Views: 11,429
Published: 15 years ago

This is a reply to # 373,516

Re: YOU are spreading lies

Actually, yes, I AM a doctor.

Third-degree burns are not that dangerous when limited in size. (I've had several others from motorcycle accidents, reckless play with fireworks as a kid, etc.)

I suppose WebMD was trying to put it in terms that are accessible to the layman, but "at the base of the spine" is colloquial and misleading. Sensory nerves are projections from neurons that have their somata (including their nuclei) in the dorsal root ganglion (DRG). The DRG lies OUTSIDE the spinal cord, within the dorsal (back) aspect of the vertebrae. "Base" has no anatomical meaning with regard to the spinal cord or spine.

The point is that if the nerve cell that innervates the skin dies, that means that the DRG cell dies. One cannot kill the "surface skin nerves" without killing the DRG neurons-- they are one and the same. The only caveat to acknowledge is that herpes can occasionally travel from the DRG into the sensory tracts inside the spinal cord proper. But this appears to be rare.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.com

3.094 sec, (1)