CureZone   Log On   Join
New to this forum;need help & info;doctor just put me on low-dose Cortef (see message)

suze-gee Views: 1,855
Published: 16 years ago

New to this forum;need help & info;doctor just put me on low-dose Cortef (see message)

I am 43 and have had low energy for the past several years which I feel is largely due to my perfectionist overachieving personality. At any rate, about a year or so ago noticed my previously thick hair was becoming finer textured and started having perimenopausal symptoms and had a bone scan showing borderline osteopenia. Went to an M.D. who specializes in metabolic disorders and uses bioidentical hormones. He tested my hormones and they were bottomed out; my progesterone was very,very low along with estradiol; DHEA was low; testosterone low,etc. He did a Cortrosyn stimulation test for my adrenals and my baseline was borderline low and had a low reaction to Cortrosyn. He put me on bioidentical hormones (progesterone,E1,E2,E3,testosterone), DHEA 50 mg. He also put me on Cortef 5 mg 3 times a day. Okay,what is scaring me is whether or not this Cortef will cause me to put on a body fat and make my hair even thinner. He told me to read Safe Uses of Cortisol by Wm. McK. Jefferies but I haven't had a chance to get it. I am basically a healthy person. I exercise 5 to 6 times a week, eat very healthy (lots of vegetables,eggs,fish,chicken,fruit and avoid processed foods as much as possible), I take 4 grams of Vit. C a day, multivitamin, vit E, fish oil, Vit B complex, etc.

Can anyone give me any insight on how bad this low-dose Cortef affects a person or does it really help? My doctor says he will probably keep me on it for about a year which sounds like a long time to be on a steroid without adverse effects,like dreaded weight gain and my hair thinning even more. My husband feels that I should do what the doctor suggests, but I have always been one to go with ''natural approaches'' as opposed to synethics, i.e, Cortef.

Thanks to all in advance

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2021  www.curezone.com

0.734 sec, (1)