CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: I felt like I was going to die on day 4, why? by wreckdiver ..... Fasting for Weight Loss Forum

Date:   11/30/2007 11:50:36 PM ( 15 years ago ago)
Hits:   1,113
URL:   https://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1053155

This is gonna sound like tough love but I can't disagree more about eating anything or drinking juice when fasting. I know there are avid juice fasting fans but I am just conveying my first hand experience and research that I have done.

One of the biggest goals of drinking water only is too all but completely shut down the digestive system and get in and STAY in ketosis. When the digestive system is resting, it can repair itself and all the energy you are saving goes into the healing process.

Imho carbs are the enemy of the faster. They bump you out of ketosis and encourage the production of digestive juices and enzymes. They are like a drug fix when fasting. You get the short term relief but they make things more painful. After you finish processing the food or juice, the body continues to expect more and keeps producing stomach acid and enzymes in anticipation. An empty stomach + digestive juices = hunger!

As such, I am LESS hungry eating nothing.

As far as drifting in and out of ketosis, this is the worst thing that you can do if your goal is too lose fat. Several clinical studies have shown that during the transition in and out of ketosis, your weight loss is 1/2 fat/water and 1/2 muscle tissue. Once in ketosis (36-48 hours into the fast), the weight loss is about 90% fat/water and 10% muscle. This is because ketosis stimulates the hormones and enzymes that are required for fat loss and stimulate the hormones that minimize muscle break down as a survival response. One of the big ones is human grown hormone (HGH).

I can remember the first time I did a fast and it was brutal. And I actually failed several times to get past 4 days. But one thing I noticed was that it seems easier and easier to get past those days now. For me, it is almost 100% psychological at this point. I want to eat but don't feel like I have to.

This may sound mean but I would recommend grueling it out if you hit a bad spot. I find that doing breathing exercises or going for a 20 minute walk helps get you through it. As bad as it feels when you're hurting, it feels great making it through and sticking it out. I have had some horrible nights, gone out for a walk and gone to bed. The next morning I feel so proud of myself for sticking it out!

Take care and good luck.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.38 sec, referred by www.curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?i=1053155