CureZone   Log On   Join

iodine questions -- I'm an iodine newbie by kagr ..... Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team

Date:   8/6/2010 11:09:04 PM ( 11 years ago ago)
Hits:   1,770
URL:   https://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1666115

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to iodine. I wanted to give a brief background before I ask my question if you don't mind. :) I am hypothyroid and I have hypoadrenia (very low adrenal function). I am on Pathroid for thyroid and hydrocortisone for adrenal function. I also take a multitude of supplements to support thyroid and adrenals.

I have been studying up on Iodine because of my thyroid issues. I have read Dr. Brownstein's book on Iodine and read Internet articles. I recently had an Iodine loading test and bromide testing done by Hakala labs. My results are: Iodine Excreted (from a 50mg loading dose - 42mg. 84% iodine excreted. Bromide excretion was 18.03mg.

So, on the surface, this seems like a fairly good test. But then, of course, all the complicated stuff about symporter dysfuction, transporter problems, iodine organification problems.... It is all so complicated. I had not been doing very much iodine supplementation when I took the test. I had done 1 drop of 5% Lugol's on my arm every day for about a month (per doctor's instruction). I have a ton of symptoms of hypothyroid. I e-mailed Hakala and asked them how will I know if I get a "true" normal result instead of a "false" normal. How do I know whether my result is truly normal and I don't have an iodine deficiency (or at least not much of one) or if I have symporter issues. I also expressed concern to him about using iodine and not needing to could cause HYPERthyroid issues. Charles Hakala e-mails back saying that I should test again in 3 months to see if my iodine levels go down, and if my bromide levels go down. Then he says, "Iodine will only produce hyperthyroid conditions in the presence of a "hot" thyroid nodule." So, I now have to research what a "hot" nodule is. Do any of you know about this? I do have an enlarged thyroid gland, but I don't know about nodules.

So, bottom line, this whole thing is so scary. Iodine sounds like a wonderful thing, and I understand about the bromide detox, etc. But, what IF someone actually does not need iodine? AND, why not just tell everyone to dose on 50mg of iodine for 3 months before they get tested to begin with? Because I don't know if my test is truly normal or not!! I am very confused, and therefore very frustrated. I just want to get better.

I read Cougar's post from a few months ago about transport problems. I did not know Hakala Labs had a test for transport problems. That would have been good to know. I just hate that I spent over $200.00 for me and my son to get tested and I don't know whether the test is accurate or not. I guess I can dose for 3 months and test again, but then how do I know if that test is accurate?

If anyone has been this route and has info, PLEASE post back or e-mail me. I really would appreciate any help. Also, is iodine safe while using hydrocortisone? I'm on 10mg daily. Sorry for the negative attitude here and complaining. :)

kagr

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.05 sec, referred by www.curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?i=1666115