CureZone   Log On   Join

Re: in need of advice by Hveragerthi ..... Candida & Dysbiosis Forum

Date:   5/30/2011 6:23:19 PM ( 11 years ago ago)
Hits:   4,006
URL:   https://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1817667

I had a 24 hour urine test to cortisol. The test came back normal. I read the treatment that you posted for adrenal insufficiency. I looked up the causes of adrenal insufficiency. One of the causes is fungal infection like candida.

It seems like candida caused the adrenal problem, that lead to the autoimmune disorder. Like you said, they all have a link to each other.

This is something I would have to disagree with.  I have never seen any evidence that candidiasis can cause adrenal problems directly.  Although the stress of dealing with candidiasis can weaken the adrenals.

I've been taking licorice root, that I read is a adaptogen. Though, on the licorice root bottle, it says you can not take licorice root for no longer then 4-6 weeks.

It can be taken longer.  There has been a lot of hype over licorice root being able to raise blood pressure.  Although this can be a good thing for people suffering from low blood pressure due to adrenal dysfunction, it scares people with normal to high blood pressure.  What they are not being told though is that it takes at least 50g a day over 6 months to raise blood pressure.  That would be the equivalent of taking a full bottle of licorice root capsules daily for over 6 months.  That would be extremely difficult to do.  

If a person is taking a steroid such as Prednisone though then there is a greater rich of this since both cause sodium retention and potassium depletion and licorice root prolongs the effects of these steroids.

If taking steroids or high doses of licorice root though a person can increase their potassium intake or include high potassium herbs to help counter the side effects of the sodium retention and potassium depletion.

If dealing with adrenal fatigue though it is best to use Chinese licorice root (G. uralensis), which is calming compared to American licorice root (G. glabra).

Out of all the other adaptogens: schisandra berry, astragalus, Siberian ginseng, jiaogulan, and ashwagandha. What is the best one to take?

There is no one best to take.  Herbs are best taken as balanced formulations to address different aspects of a disease or disorder.  This can also help to reduce the risk of side effects if done properly.

In addition, different adaptogens may have different properties that may target something specific. For example, jiaogulan also lowers cholesterol, kills certain pathogens such as fungi and cancer cells.  Ashwagandha is calming by raising GABA in the brain and helps the thyroid with T4 to T3 conversion.  Schisandra berry is also highly supportive to the liver, kidneys and eyes.........  These three and Chinese licorice root though are my favorites though since are effective and support so many other things in the body.

The doctor I see now, talked about taking vitamin C with rose hips to increase the immune system.

Yes and no.  First of all synthetic vitamin C compounds (ascorbic acid) are very unstable and quickly break down in the presence of light, heat or moisture.  Therefore, when people think they are taking let's say 1g of vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid they are not likely getting anywhere near that much.  Natural sources of vitamin C, such as acerola and rosehips, do tend to be much stronger and more stable that synthetic vitamin C since these contain other antioxidants that protect the vitamin C from oxidation.  Rosehips are great though and provide other nutritional support for the adrenals.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the immune system is not a singular thing.  The immune system is a compilation of things including various white blood cells, various cytokines, various glands, the flora, peroxides, enzymes like SOD, etc.  Vitamin C will not support the immune system by itself, just like it will not support the adrenals, which are another part of the immune system, by itself.

Is it a good idea to continue to take the L-glutamine to help along treat the problem? I found out that powdered L-glutamine is the best type to use.

Yes, glutamine is a good supplement for leaky gut.

On this site:
http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/leaky-gut-...

There are a few things that I disagree with on this site.  For example, their claim about taking up to 25,000IU daily of vitamin A safely.  This is an upper limit to prevent liver damage from the vitamin A.  But even this level can cause liver issues in some people and this is still way over the amount of vitamin A needed to cause bone loss.  Beta carotene, which can convert in to vitamin A, can be safely taken at that level.

They also recommend DGL.  Problem is that leaky gut is an inflammatory condition and DGL is licorice root with the anti-inflammatory component removed.

And under insoluble recommend psyllium and brans.  Psyllium seed is OK, but psyllium husk is very hard and sharp making it irritating and even damaging to the intestines.  Psyllium is also well known for causing bloating.  As far as brans go, there are hard brans and soft brans.  Hard brans, such as wheat bran, can also aggravate inflammatory intestinal conditions.  Soft brans, such as oat or rice bran, are safe and effective though.

It talks about treatment for leaky gut. I'll send a message to the doctor I'm seeing & mention adrenal insufficiency. The doctor knows that I look up medical information. I never had any medical problems until recently. Hopefully this information can help.

Update: I sent the message to the doctor about adrenal insuffiency. Though the doctor keeps on telling to take the 'Mediclear'. I got no answer why the Mediclear is making me bloated. I'm thinking of looking for a new doctor.

The doctor I'm seeing now is a homeopathic/naturpath doctor. This is the second naturpath I've gone to. I do not know if I should still see a naturpath.

It's possible that the naturpathic doctor I've gone to are not highly experienced or do not know what they are doing.

That is true of most doctors.  I find that even naturopathic doctors tend to use things that can cause more harm than good such as glandulars and synthetic supplements.  For example, Lipo C.  I am very leery of this form of vitamin C not only because it is a synthetic, but also because they made it lipid (fat) soluble.  So it will end up going in to parts of the body where vitamin C does not normally incorporate.  What are the long term adverse effects of doing this?  Fact is that nobody knows.

I found out that there is a type of doctor called a osteopathic physician. Is an osteopathic physician good to see if you have- leaky gut/dysbiosis, autoimmune disorder & candida?

There is no one specific type of doctor that is better than another if they still do not understand these concepts of these diseases, which is way too common.  For example, most doctors are still convinced that autoimmune conditions are a result of an overactive immune system.  In reality though autoimmunity  results in large part from a suppression of the immune system through the adrenals, which leads to the over production of nonspecific low affinity antibodies (autoantibodies).  And I see doctors and researchers referring to syndromes such as AIDS and chronic fatigue syndrome as diseases all the time.  Syndromes are not diseases.  A syndrome is merely a group of symptoms, which can have multiple causes.

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.03 sec, referred by www.curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?i=1817667