CureZone   Log On   Join

Going to give this a shot. by alizzah ..... Fasting for Weight Loss Forum

Date:   5/29/2007 12:55:52 PM ( 15 years ago ago)
Hits:   845
URL:   https://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=882194

Here's a bit of background about myself, please forgive the long long post:

I have been an overweight (by about 10-20 lbs) vegetarian for years, but over the past year have put on a LOT of weight. I didn't even realize how much until I stepped on the scale! All the sudden I was a 50 pound overweight vegetarian!

So, January 1st, I switched to a lowfat vegan lifestyle and started working out religiously. This worked fantastic the first month. Ten pounds slid off effortlessly, but then it started slowing down. Even though I was doing about 3 hours of cardio per week, a couple full body weight circuts, AND walking several miles a week as well, I was only losing about 0.5 pounds per week. This is very frustrating when you're sweating it out at the gym nearly every day of the week.

Anyway, I had lost 19 pounds before I got very discouraged at the rate I was losing. Over the past week or so I've binged out on high fat vegetarian (not vegan) foods and I gained back nearly 7 pounds of the 19 I worked six months to lose.

Talk about being frustrated and disappointing myself!!! So here's my dilema. I have a wedding to be in (not my own) in July, and a humongous family reunion in August and I want to at least look like how I looked before I moved away (slightly chubby I can deal with! This I can not!). Yeah I want to be healthy and all that good stuff, but as a vain and all-too-human being, I'd really like to at least be able to fit into my clothes!

I'm planning on doing a fast to kick start my body back into weight loss mode and hopefully curb some of my addictions to eating, and then follow up the fast with sensible low-fat whole-grain vegan eating like I've been doing (aside from this week) for the past 6 months. My long term goal is to lose about 40 more pounds, but at this point I'd be extatic to lose 30. Even 20! I have until July 10 or so before I have to travel for the wedding, and the reunion is mid-August.

I have no idea if I can even fast for a week, let alone three or four weeks, AND I have an extremely nosey mother in law (who is pretty much the only person I'm worried about) who I really don't want to know about this. She likes to eat out with my husband and I about once weekly, and I am still trying to figure out how to get out of that. Tips would be appreciated.

***Okay so here's my main question (if any of you have managed to read it this far!). How long will I have to fast (water or juice) to lose about 20 lbs (half of my long term goal)? As of today I've switched to eating only fruits and veggies (some cooked) and will switch to raw fruits and veggies before starting my official fast on Friday June first. I probably will try to juice fast for a few days then switch to water. I really want to minimize any detox discomfort, as I am a big wuss. I do plan on exercising, but instead of the intense cardio and weights I was doing, I will try to keep it easier like yoga, cycling, and walking.

Also, if any of you want to reply how long you've fasted (and what type- water, juice, etc) and how much weight you've lost, that would be very inspirational.

I don't plan on doing this medically supervised (not in the budget) but I have tried to read up on it as much as possible.

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to reply! I appreciate it!

<< Return to the standard message view

fetched in 0.05 sec, referred by www.curezone.com/forums/fmp.asp?i=882194